Hello all. My name is Jenna Roush and I am a Registered Nurse currently employed by the Meigs County Health Department’s (MCHD) Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program. I have been with the WIC office since the beginning of 2017.
Before being employed by the MCHD, I worked strictly in the hospital environment. I worked as a staff nurse on a med/surg unit as well as a surgical step down unit taking care of more acutely ill patients and those requiring cardiac catheterizations and interventions. I also worked as a Case Manager for the Emergency Department. I am now the WIC Certifying Health Professional (CHP). As such, I work with other WIC employees to provide nutritious foods and promote good health for pregnant women, women who have just had a baby, breastfeeding moms, infants and children up to age 5.
As the WIC CHP, my duties include:
· Assessing and documenting a participant’s nutritional risk(s).
· Prescribing food packages.
· Providing nutrition education including breastfeeding promotion and support that is responsive to the identified needs/interests of each participant.
· Identifying the need for individual care plans.
· Referring participants to other health and social services and providing appropriate follow-up to referrals.
· Implementing individual care plans for low-risk participants.
· Documenting nutrition services provided, including referrals and follow-up to referrals.
· Ensuring that screening for low iron and referrals for immunizations using a documented immunization record are performed.
Working for WIC is rewarding. l get to know the local community and I am able to help them in ways that may seem small, but can impact them for a lifetime. I hope that they feel I have had a positive effect on them as well.
If you are pregnant, breastfeeding and/or have a child aged birth to 5 years of age, please call to see if you are eligible for WIC benefits and/or to make an appointment. Our office can be reached at 740-992-0392, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-noon or 1-4 p.m.
Jenna Roush is a WIC Health Professional with the Meigs County Health Department.