Crash sends Meigs man to hospital

By Lindsay Kriz -

RACINE — A Meigs County man was transported to West Virginia hospital after a single-car accident Friday evening.

Sgt. Jake Schuldt, assistant commander of the Gallia-Meigs Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol, said that around 9:10 p.m. Friday, Kody Murphy, 27, of Long Bottom, was driving his red 1988 Honda Civic northbound on Bashan Road in Racine. He had one passenger, Teresa Rose, 43, of Syracuse.

Murphy lost control of the vehicle and struck an unnamed building. Both passengers were trapped and had to be extricated from the car by the local fire station. Rose had minor injuries and refused treatment at the scene, and Murphy, who had head injuries, was transported to the Holzer Emergency Room in Pomeroy and then to Cabell Huntington Hospital in Huntington, W.Va., where he was listed in stable condition. The police report did not list whether or not Murphy wore a seat belt, but listed Rose as wearing a seat belt.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the crash. Schuldt said officers have a blood sample with test results coming in later. The crash remains under investigation with charges for the crash pending.

This is the second Meigs County crash in less than a week.

A Nov. 18 crash sent one woman to Cabell Huntington as well.

Road Trooper Shawn Cunningham, of the Gallia-Meigs Post of OSHP, said that his post got a call at 7:54 a.m. that morning.

Cunningham said that Julie Oiler, of Middleport, was driving northbound on SR 7 in a black two-door 2001 Chrysler Sebring when she attempted to make a left turn onto SR 143. However, police say she turned in front of a southbound black 2015 GMS Acadia on SR 7 driven by Nancy Gard of Pomeroy.

Cunningham said Gard attempted to brake and turn her vehicle to the right to avoid striking Oiler head-on, but still struck her on the passenger side. Neither vehicle had passengers inside. Oiler was transported to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Huntington.

Cunningham said Gard told him she had some airbag burns on her arm and felt a bit dizzy, but refused treatment at the scene and instead went to an undisclosed medical facility to be treated.

Both women appear to have been wearing safety belts, Cunningham said.

By Lindsay Kriz