That was the report from Edd Sharp, president of the Buffington Island Battlefield Preservation Foundation Board of Trustees at a Foundation meeting held at the Meigs County Museum.
It was also noted that a Kiosh (container for informational pamphlets) is to be placed in the Portland Park. George Kane, site manager for the Ohio Historical Society (OHS) reported that the Portland Community Center has been hired to be responsible for maintenance of the Park. It was also noted that OHS has received an appropriation to work on some Civil War exhibits and that funding for a battlefield brochure is still in part of next year’s budget process.
A report from the Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission was given by Eric Wittenbert who suggested that planning needs to be started now for the local sesquicentennial celebrations so that they can be publicized on the state website. The Interpretation/Education Committee will begin considering suggestions and planning at the January 2010 meeting.
Funding has been received for signs for the Grant boyhood home, Buckeye Furnace and the McCook House, it was reported during the meeting.
Tony Ten-Barge advised that the State Legislature has put some monev aside, but said most of it will go for the War of 1812 observance.
The relocation of State Route 124 at Long Bottom was discussed by Al Tonetti who noted it crosses a place Morgan traveled following the battle. He suggested the Foundation contact ODOT for a consultation.
Treasurer Hal Kneen reported that a donation and memorial monies have been received by the Foundation. The next meeting of the group was set for Jan. 10 at the Museum.