COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors held its August meeting Thursday morning at the OHSAA office.
The following are highlights from the meeting.
Complete meeting minutes will be posted at OHSAA.org.
* The board reviewed the member school list for 2016-17, which includes 821 high schools and 900 7th-8th grade schools. Ohio has the fourth-most member schools in the country behind California, Texas and New York.
* The board approved the tournament regulations for the OHSAA’s fall sports, including the regional tournament sites and dates for volleyball and cross country. The regulations will be posted by Monday on the respective sport homepages at OHSAA.org. In addition, the preseason manuals, sport-specific regulations and general sports regulations are also posted on each sport homepage.
* Since the board’s January meeting, 11 member schools were penalized for committing infractions of OHSAA bylaws or sports regulations. The list of infractions and penalties is always included in the complete meeting minutes, but media members may request the list in advance from Tim Stried, OHSAA Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The board was updated on the status of competitive balance, including the rostering regulations and technology. Of note, schools have been given deadlines of Sept. 13 to have soccer and volleyball rosters entered, and Sept. 19 to have football rosters entered. The data will be used when divisional assignments are made for the 2017 season.
* The board approved an increase in the admission charge for the golf state tournaments from $9 per person to $10 per person.
* The board reviewed the attendance and financial report from the 2016 boys basketball tournament. Of note, the paid attendance at the state tournament was up 16,418 from the 2015 state tournament. The 2016 paid attendance was 114,402 and the total attendance was 128,871.
* The board approved the 2016-17 OHSAA budget for the state office and the six District Athletic Boards. Details will be included in the fall edition of OHSAA Magazine.
* The board approved the 2016-17 OHSAA Media Regulations and Broadcast Fees. Those documents are posted on the news and media homepage at OHSAA.org.
* The date for the 2017 OHSAA wrestling dual team state tournament at St. John Arena was confirmed for Sunday, Feb. 12.
* The board approved the 2016-17 regional and state tournament officials representation, which determines how many officials from each district receive regional and state tournament officiating assignments. The 2016-17 Officials Handbook was also approved.
* Broadcasters involved with high school sports throughout Ohio are invited to a gathering on Wednesday, Aug. 17 hosted jointly by the Ohio High School Athletic Association and the Ohio Association of Broadcasters. The meeting will begin at 11 a.m. at the OHSAA offices in Columbus. Details are posted at: http://www.ohsaa.org/news/media/20160720broadcasters.pdf
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU