Athens Bulldogs (2-3) at Gallia Academy Blue Devils (0-5)
Last Week: Athens defeated Vinton County 48-13 in McArthur; Gallia Academy lost to Point Pleasant 76-29 in Gallipolis.
Last meeting between the teams: August 29, 2014. Athens won 52-0 in The Plains.
Current head-to-head streak: Athens has won 2 straight.
AHS offense last week: 251 rushing yards, 124 passing yards.
GAHS offense last week: 48 rushing yards, 238 passing yards.
AHS offensive leaders last week: QB Brendan Sano 6-10, 113 yards; Zacciah Saltzman 14 carries, 168 yards, 7TDs; Trey Keiffer 2 receptions, 36 yards.
GAHS offensive leaders last week: QB Kole Carter 11-26, 121 passing, 3TDs, INT; RB Kole Carter 16 carries, 36 yards; Matt Bailey 7 receptions, 50 yards, 2TDs.
AHS defense last week: 102 rushing yards, 112 passing yards.
GAHS defense last week: 332 rushing yards, 45 passing yards.
Five things to note:
1. Midway through the season the Blue Devils are still looking for their first win. Gallia Academy hasn’t started a season 0-6 since 2009 when the Blue and White won two of their final four games to finish 2-8.
2. Athens’ last trip to Memorial Field was August 30, 2013, when the Bulldogs claimed a 62-19 victory. GAHS hasn’t defeated a visiting Athens squad since October 27, 2006, when the Blue Devils claimed a 52-0 victory.
3. Athens is 1-1 against Southeastern Ohio Athletic League opponents this season, defeating Warren 53-0 on September 11, while losing to Logan 61-49 on August 28. The Blue Devils will face Warren on October 16, and Logan on October 23. Both games will be at Memorial Field.
4. The Bulldogs charge is led by senior running back Zacciah Saltzman with 799 yards and 16 touchdowns on 92 carries through five games this season.
5. The Blue Devils have rushed for 443 yards on 148 carries this season, equaling 2.99 yards per carry. GAHS has completed 51-of-117 pass attempts this season, gaining 763 yards.
River Valley Raiders (4-1, 1-1) at Wellston Golden Rockets (3-2, 0-1)
Last Week: River Valley lost to Meigs 26-21 in Bidwell; Wellston lost to Alexander 33-20 in Albany.
Last meeting between the teams: October 3, 2014. Wellston won 33-32OT in Bidwell.
Current head-to-head streak: Wellston has won 3 straight.
RVHS offense last week: 90 rushing yards, 161 passing yards.
WHS offense last week: 253 rushing yards, 9 passing yards.
RVHS offensive leaders last week: QB Dayton Hardway 8-28, 161 yards, 3TDs; RB Mark Wray 20 carries, 59 yards; WR Kirk Morrow 6 receptions, 103 yards, 2TDs.
WHS offensive leaders last week: QB Braydon Womeldorf 4-9, 9 yards, INT, RB Forrest Hale 10 carries, 163 yards, 3TDs; WR Daivon Newell 1 reception, 4 yards.
RVHS defense last week: 182 rushing yards, 121 passing yards.
WHS defense last week: 166 rushing yards, 190 passing yards.
Five things to note:
1. The streak is over, now time to start a new one. Prior to last week, River Valley had won five straight games dating back to last season. That was the longest winning streak since winning seven straight in the final two games of 2002 and the first five games of 2003.
2. This is the fourth all-time meeting between River Valley and Wellston. The Golden Rockets are 3-0 with a 134-to-48 scoring advantage in the head-to-head series.
3. The Raiders ran the ball 149 times this season, marking 649 yards and 12 touchdowns on the ground. RVHS is 38-of-91 for 760 yards with seven touchdowns and four interceptions.
4. Wellston’s ground attack is paced by quarterback Braydon Womeldorf and halfback Forrest Hale. Womeldorf — who is 28-of-54 passing for 306 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions — has 507 rushing yards and eight scores on 62 carries, while Hale has 496 yards and nine scores on 45 carries.
5. River Valley is 2-0 on the road this season, while Wellston is currently 2-0 at home. If the postseason started today RVHS would be in the seventh spot. Wellston, who is also in Region 17, currently sits two spots out of the playoffs at the 10 spot.
South Gallia Rebels (2-3, 1-2) at Belpre Golden Eagles (3-2, 3-1)
Last Week: South Gallia lost to Eastern 26-21 in Mercerville; Belpre defeated Southern, 42-6 in Racine.
Last meeting between the teams: October 3, 2014. Belpre won 21-6 in Mercerville.
Current head-to-head streak: Belpre has won 3 straight
BHS offense last week: 308 rushing yards, 63 passing yards.
SGHS offense last week: 198 rushing yards, 143 passing yards.
BHS offensive leaders last week: QB Tavian Miller 4-9, 63 yards, TD; RB Tojaze Reams 9 carries, 88 yards, TD; WR Josh Moore 3 receptions, 61 yards.
SGHS offensive leaders last week: QB Landon Hutchinson 9-21, 143 yards, TD, 3INTs; RB Landon Hutchinson 21 carries, 131 yards, 2TDs; WR Isiah Geiger 5 receptions, 74 yards.
BHS defense last week: 35 rushing yards, 76 passing yards.
SGHS defense last week: 173 rushing yards, 134 passing yards.
Five things to note:
1. The Golden Eagles have won three straight games, holding opponents in single digits, while surpassing 40 points in each of the last three games. South Gallia is 0-2 on the road this season, while Belpre is 1-1 at home.
2. South Gallia’s last trip to Belpre was October 11, 2013 and the Golden Eagles won by a 21-8 final. The Rebels last defeated the Golden Eagles on October 7, 2011 by a 62-7 final in Belpre.
3. SGHS has ran for 1,412 yards and 18 touchdowns on 167 carries this season, while completing 41-of-94 pass attempts for 520 yards with four touchdowns and six interceptions.
4. Belpre has carried the ball 200 times this season, scoring 12 touchdowns and chalking up 1,252 yards. BHS is 17-of-47 through the air this season with 227 yards, five touchdowns and one interception.
5. If the postseason started today, Belpre would be the first team left out. South Gallia, which is also in Region 25, currently sits 22nd in the region.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU