WEST COLUMBIA — A woman and her son escaped injury Thursday morning after their home along Rt. 62 in West Columbia caught fire, according to Mason firefighter Travis Nance.
Nancy Roush and son, Jason, were reportedly at the house when the blaze began. The house is also occupied by Roush’s daughter, Jenny, who was not home.
The Mason Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at 8:27 a.m., and was later joined by departments from New Haven, Middleport, and Point Pleasant, as well as representatives from the EMS and law enforcement, Nance said. In total, 26 firefighters were on the scene.
Officials closed Rt. 62 to all traffic at 8:38 a.m., with one lane of the roadway later reopened at 10:13 a.m. In addition, Nance said the railroad tracks were closed to allow the hoses to reach the fire hydrants that were located across the street and tracks from the fire.
The structure was a mobile home with two additions, one each on the front and back, Nance said. He added it is believed the fire was caused by faulty electric.
“It was a hard fire to get out, definitely stubborn,” Nance stated.
The Mason firefighters returned to the station at 1:41 p.m.
The Roush family lost all of their possessions in the blaze, and friends were posting the immediate need for clothing on the social media site, Facebook. Nancy wears a 3X in clothing; Jenny, a medium; and Jason, 42X32 pants, 3X shirt, and size 13 shoes.
Mindy Kearns is a freelance writer for Ohio Valley Publishing who lives in Mason County.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU