Pomeroy discusses plans for sewer project


By Erin Perkins - eperkins@aimmediamidwest.com



POMEROY — Council members are approached with a new plan for sewer project 833.

Mitch Altier spoke to the council on a strategy to complete the 833 Sewer Project. Altier suggested to divide the one project into two. The project is on the list for funding by the EPA for over $726,471. By eliminating Minersville from the project, the cost would reduce to around 2.9 million for corridor 833 itself. Altier will know if the project can be split by the end of this week or the middle of next week. In December, the council will apply for a small government loan of $350,000 for funding as well. Mayor Don Anderson says the completion of this project will be great for the village and will open up land and property.

Altier brought attention to the storm water project for Fisher, Lincoln Hill, Peacock, Butternut, and Mulberry which are streets in Pomeroy that have suffered storm damage. The Ohio Emergency Management Agency gave a grant of $143,500,which is a 75 percent grant. If the village would cover the remaining 25 percent cost of the project, the cost would be $47,000. The total cost of the project is estimated around $190,000. Anderson decided to make the amount manageable for the village to cover at $25,000. Hennessy makes a motion for Altier to advertise the bid of $25,000 to contractors of the project and the council approved.

Fire Chief Rick Blaettnar approached the council about his proposal for two new fire engines. Blaettnar is pushing for two vehicles because of the four separate businesses from which he is receiving quotes the best economical option is proving to be the purchase of two vehicles, rather than one. Blaettnar would like to add a tanker to his fire engines as the fire department currently does not have one and the other vehicle would be a smaller vessel making entrance onto narrow streets more accessible. Blaettnar plans on having his bids back by Dec. 8, so he can provide the council with better knowledge of the cost and funding. Anderson informed him that once the council knows the amount of money to be spent and of where the funding is coming, they will proceed towards a decision. Council member John Musser made a motion for Blaettnar to make an advertisement for his bids and the council approved.

Anderson welcomed Brian Young, son of council member Victor Young, to the Village of Pomeroy Council and shared that he was glad to have Brian aboard his team.

More on this week’s Pomeroy council meeting in an upcoming edition.

By Erin Perkins

eperkins@aimmediamidwest.com

Erin Perkins is a staff writer for Ohio Valley Publishing.

Erin Perkins is a staff writer for Ohio Valley Publishing.