MEIGS COUNTY — Filing deadline is quickly approaching for the the November general election.
The deadline for village, township and school board positions — excluding the village of Middleport — is Aug. 9. The deadline for the four council seats in the village of Middleport was in May.
While four individuals filed for the four seats to be elected in the village of Middleport, only one of those candidates — Sharon Older — was certified for the November ballot, according to the Board of Elections.
In addition to the Aug. 9 filing deadline, the deadline for write-in candidates to file is Aug. 28.
As of Wednesday, only a few petitions had been filed for the numerous positions which are up for election.
Following the recent resignation of Pomeroy Mayor Bryan Shank, his unexpired term, which ends Dec. 31, 2019, will be voted on in the November election.
In addition to the mayor seat, Pomeroy will have four council seats up for election in November.
Likewise, the villages of Racine, Rutland and Syracuse will have four council seats up for election in November.
Each of the townships in Meigs County will elect two trustees.
Meigs and Eastern Local will each elect two to their respective boards of education, while Alexander and Southern will elect three. A member of the governing board of the educational service center is also to be elected in the Southern Local School District.
To date, the following petitions have been filed, but have not yet been certified:
- Columbia Twp. Trustee: Thomas A. Smith Sr.
- Bedford Twp. Trustee: Eldon Leon Sauters
- Lebanon Twp. Trustee: Donald R. Dailey
- Salisbury Twp. Trustee: Bill Spaun and Robert Ball
- Sutton Twp. Trustee: James A. (Tony) Carnahan and Adam Johnson
- Southern Local Board of Education: Brenda Johnson
Multiple local levies and issues have also been filed for the November election.
Levies and issues filed to date include:
- Meigs County District Public Library current expenses levy, a 1 mill renewal levy for five years;
- University of Rio Grande payment of operating costs levy, a 1 mill replacement levy for a continuing period of time;
- Columbia Twp. road maintenance levy, a 1.2 mill renewal levy for five years;
- Olive Twp. road maintenance levy, a 2 mill renewal levy for five years;
- Rutland Twp. maintaining and operating cemeteries levy, a 1 mill renewal levy for five years;
- Sutton Twp. current expenses levy, a .40 mill additional levy for five years;
- Syracuse Village police protection levy, a 2 mill renewal levy for five years.
In addition to the deadline to file, there is also the deadline to register to vote in the November election. The deadline to register is 9 p.m. on Oct. 10.
Sarah Hawley is the managing editor of The Daily Sentinel.