MIDDLEPORT — The Meigs County Garden Clubs annual Winter Flower Show will be held this weekend at Heath United Methodist Church in Middleport.
The annual show will feature a variety of designs, including, flower arrangements, wreaths, ornaments and decorated packages.
The Holiday flower show to be held Nov. 19 and 20 at the Heath United Methodist on S. Third Street in Middleport. The show will be open to the public on both days from noon-4 p.m. The show will be judged by Ohio Association of Garden Clubs standards by an accredited OAGC judge on Saturday, Nov. 19 at 1 p.m. Spectators are welcome.
Categories for the show include:
- Gather Advent Materials: Madonna — modern; Madonna — traditional
- Check The Lights — Luminary
- Evergreen For The Table — Traditional design with candle or candles
- New Decoration For This Year — Construction
- Address Christmas Cards — Still Life
- Church Program — Holy Family
- Watch A Christmas Movie — Your Choice
- Plan A Party — Luncheon Table Setting bring your own card table
- Christmas Cookies — Your Choice
- Waiting For Santa — Including Santa
Hang the Wreaths, Wall Hangings
- Indoor Wreath
- Outdoor Wreath
- Indoor Wall Hangings
- Outdoor Wall Hangings
Wrap the packages
- Wrapped package with live material for an Adult
- Wrapped package with live material for a child
- Junior class wrapped packages including live material
- Bark Boxes to be judged
- Wild flowers and their importance
- Broadleaf Evergreen one branch 12 to 24 inches in length
- Narrow leaf Evergreen one branch 12 to 24 inches in length
- Berried Branch one branch 12 to 24 inches in length
- Evergreen Ground Cover five stems same variety not over 18 inches no minimum length as some ground covers grow short stems.
- Succulents other than Cactus
- House Plant Foliage
- Blooming House Plant
- African Violet
- Broadleaf Evergreens one branch 12 to 24 inches in length
- Narrow leaf Evergreens one branch 12 to 24 inches in length
- Berried Branches one branch 12 to 24 inches in length
- Dried Material one branch 12 to 24 inches in length
- Roadside Material one branch 12 to 24 inches in length
- Ornament including natural material your choice
Entries in all sections are to be staged under the direction of the placement committee. All entries must be in place by noon on Saturday, Nov. 19 , and may not be removed before 4 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 20, with clean up to follow.
In the horticulture categories, plants must be owned and grown by the exhibitor for at least three months prior to the show. No oil or polish permitted on foliage. Plant names must be furnished by the exhibitor and written on the entry tags. Exhibitors are encouraged to use both the botanical name and the common name where possible. The use of variety names is also encouraged. The exhibitor may enter more than one specimen in a class in the horticulture section, providing each entry is of a different variety. The committee will provide containers for specimens.
Artistic Arrangements must be the work of the exhibitor. No artificial plant material will be permitted except in wreath and wall decoration classes. Treated or dyed plant material may be used only in classes for modern arrangements if arrangers so desire. In no case should fresh plant material be painted or dyed or artificially colored in any way.
Designs should not be wider than 28 inches and no taller than 48 inches. Only one entry per exhibitor is permitted in each artistic class. Baubles, glitter, snow; backgrounds and accessories are permitted in all classes provided they add distinction to the design.
Special Awards to be presented include Best of Show, Reserve Best of Show, and Creativity. The creativity award does not necessarily have to be a blue ribbon winner. Each exhibitor can win only one “special award.”One blue, one red, one yellow and one white ribbon will be placed in each class, except in junior classes, where the judge may place as many honorable mention ribbons as she sees fit.
Junior Awards will be Best of Show, Creativity and Horticulture which will use the same point system as the adults. Judge may award as may honorable mention as desired. Educational classes are not judged.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU