HEMLOCK GROVE — The August meeting of Hemlock Grange was preceded by a picnic dinner.
The meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. with Kim Romine presiding. After the pledge to the flag and a patriotic song, Sara Cullums had prayer.
Adell White, Family Activities Chairperson, announced the winners of the contests. In embroidery, needle point and plastic canvas, Rosalie Johnson got first place. In quilt, Sara Cullums got first place. These entries were put in the fair booth.
A report on tax ID number was given by Romine. The grange is still waiting to hear from the state.
Margaret Parker, lecturer, gave a program on the history of the fair. The first fair was held in Middleport on Oct. 22, 1851. The second one was held at the Rocksprings Hotel in 1852. The third was in Middleport in 1852, with the fourth in Chester in 1854. It was held in Racine in 1860. The fair was postponed in 1861 and 1862, with no fair in 1863, 1864 or 1865 due to the war. The fairgrounds were purchased in 1868 for $1,500 consisting of 10 acres. The grandstand was built in 1890.
To conclude the program, members were asked to share their experiences at the fair.
September meeting will be preceded by a stuffed pork chop dinner.
Information submitted by Barbara Fry.