CHESTER — The Chester High School Alumni Association held its annual banquet and meeting June 3, 2017, at the Eastern Elementary School Cafetorium.
President Kathryn Windon welcomed the 45 alumni and 34 guests. The Pledge of Allegiance was followed by singing God Bless American with Cris Kuhn on the piano, who also played music before the welcome.
Following the invocation by John Frank, a delicious steak dinner was served by the Ladies Auxiliary of the Tuppers Plains VFW.
The business meeting began with the secretary Betty Newell reading the minutes from 2016 and George Morrison giving the treasurer’s report. Both were approved.
The only new business was officers for 2018. The following slate of officers were approved:
- President — Roger Epple
- 1st Vice President — Bob Wood
- 2nd Vice President — Kathryn Windon
- 3rd Vice President — Roger Keller
- Secretary — Betty Newell
- Assistant Secretary — June Epple
- Treasurer — George Morrison
- Assistant Treasurer — Richard Gaul
- Decorating Committee — Howard Larkins and helpers
Veterans were recognized with seven attending.
Four, $500 scholarships were presented to 2017 graduates:
- Sydney Hunter, great-granddaughter of Reid Young, Leota Bolin Krautter and Frances Miller Reed
- Matthew Frank, grandson of Louise Bigley Frank
- Hannah Bailey, granddaughter of James Bailey
- Taylor Parker, granddaughter of Leland Parker
A gift was presented to Rex Summerfield from class of 1939, 78th year, as the oldest alumni.
Gifts were also given to Class of 1945 for 72 years with the three remaining members present — Donald Mora, Frances Miller Reed and Doris White Ballard.
Gifts were given to members of honor classes:
- 1947, 70th year — William Sorden, Cleo Smith, Mary Rose and Robert Wood;
- 1952, 65th year — Helen Bissell Garvarick, Leota Krautter, Starling Musser, Betty Newell and Betty Reid;
- 1957, 60th year — Ada Randolph, Betty Myers, Helen Wilson, Lela Windon, Sue Quigley, Marion Sloter, Kathryn Windon and George Morrison.
- 1948 — James Bailey, Grover White;
- 1951 — Howard Larkins, Forrest Rhodes;
- 1953 — Louise Frank, Zetah Chapman, John Guinter, Emma Rhodes, Virgil Windon, Virginia Tyler;
- 1954 — Frona RIffle, Donna Story, Richard Gaul, Kathleen Seekman, Donna Young;
- 1955 — Roger Keller, Betty Gaul, Emerson Pooler;
- 1956 — Ronald Clay, Roger Epple, June Epple, Rosemary Keller, Marilyn Mason.
In memory of the deceased members this past year a reading was given and names were read including William Meredith (1949), Maxine Bailey Walters (1938), Samuel Michaels (1935), Martha Connally Marks (1933) and Maxine Bahr Geoglein (1941).
The president thanked the following: VFW for cooking and serving dinner; Garden Club for table decorations; the janitor and all who helped in any way.
Information submitted by secretary Betty Newell.