POMEROY — AARP Fondation Tax-Aide volunteers are offering free tax preparation at the Meigs County Senior Center, 112 E. Memorial Drive, Pomeroy, from early February through mid-April.
The tax service will be open from 9 a.m. to noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays. To schedule an appointment call 740-992-2161.
While Tax-Aide’s focus is on low-to-moderate income senior citizens, the service is available to anyone, regardless of income or age.
Volunteers, who are certified and trained by the IRS, provide the following services:
- Prepare and file U.S., Ohio and (where applicable) school district tax returns
- Prepare and file Affordable Care Act tax forms
- Determine eligibility for Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit and child/dependent care deductions
- Calculate taxes due on income from stocks, bonds and retirement accounts
- Complete tax forms involving itemized deductions, education expenses and credits, and cancellation of debt
- Prepare and file simple self-employment returns
Last year, 1,500 volunteers prepared 80,000 tax returns at 285 locations across Ohio. Nationally, 3,500 volunteers served 2.6 million taxpayers at 5,000 sites.
You do not need to be a member of AARP to use the service, and you will not be asked if you are a member. The service is totally free.
For more information, go to the Ohio Tax-Aide website at www.ohiotaxaide.org.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU